Wise Water Use
At American States Utility Services, Inc., we are deeply committed to protecting the water supply to ensure the long-term availability of high-quality affordable drinking water. You can help protect this precious resource by using water wisely through these water conservation tips:
• Turn off the water when you brush your teeth and save as much as 3 gallons per day.
• Shorten your showers by one or two minutes and save 5 gallons per day.
• Fix leaky faucets and save 20 gallons per day.
• Run only full loads in the washing machine and dishwasher and save 300 to 800 gallons a month.
• Keep a bottle of water in the refrigerator to beat the wasteful habit of running tap water to cool it for drinking and save 200 to 300 gallons a month.
• Use a broom instead of a hose to clean driveways and sidewalks and save 150 gallons or more each time.
• Don’t use the toilet as a wastebasket and save up to 200 gallons of water a month.
• Water your yard only before 8 a.m. to reduce evaporation and interference from wind and save 25 gallons per day.
• Turn off automatic sprinkler systems when it is raining.
• Don’t run the hose while washing your car. Use a bucket of water and a quick hose rinse at the end and save as much as 150 gallons each time.
• Don’t water your lawn on windy days. There is too much evaporation. This can waste up to 300 gallons in one watering.
As we’ve seen in the past few years, droughts and water shortages can affect any area of the country. Please do your part to help preserve this vital resource.
The following resources provide helpful tips and ideas for conserving water. We encourage you to visit them to find out more:
H2OUSE (California Urban Water Council)
Watersense (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency)